Date(s) - September 30
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Gauley Bridge VFD
The WV Emergency Management Division has partnered with WVPST to offer a Hazardous Materials Technician Course at Gauley Bridge VFD.
Course Overview: Hazardous Materials Technician (HMT) is a four-day course that prepares Operations-level responders for Technician-level Hazardous Materials (HAZMAT) certification. This 40-hour course, based on NFPA® 1072: Standard for Hazardous Materials/Weapons of Mass Destruction Emergency Response Personnel Professional Qualifications and NFPA® 472 standards, provides participants with HAZMAT-specific response knowledge and skills, enabling them to respond safely and effectively to a suspected incident at the hazardous materials technician level. Participants receive hands-on training in donning and doffing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Levels A and B, containing leaks and drum over-packing, containing leaks in pressurized containers, and performing technical and mass decontamination. The HMT course culminates with performance of these offensive-level tasks in an activity in which the participants apply the knowledge and skills learned in a simulated HAZMAT environment. Graduates have the opportunity to take the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) exam for HAZMAT Technician certification.
Prerequisites: To be eligible for the course, the student must:
- Have a requirement or responsibility to serve as a technician-level HAZMAT responder;
- Complete PER-322 Hazardous Materials Operationsor NFPA 472-conformant state or jurisdiction operations level hazardous materials training;
- Complete independent study IS-100.b Introduction to the Incident Command System, ICS 100, or any of the IS-100 series;
- Complete IS-200.b ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents, ICS 200 or any of the IS-200 series;
- Be capable of lifting tools and equipment up to approximately 50 pounds;
- Be capable of standing and walking for prolonged periods;
- Be capable of donning, operating in Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA), and doffing PPE to include being physically and mentally capable of wearing a respirator that conforms tightly to the face or equipment that encapsulates the head; and
- Be capable of operating in confined spaces.
- No beards
Gauley Bridge VFD
215 Main St.,
Gauley Bridge, WV 25085
Date: September 30, October 7, 8, 14, and 15, 2023
Time: 8:00am – 6:00pm daily
To Register: Follow the guidelines in the attached document using the course number in this posting. WVPST is adopting a new registration platform that we believe will be more user-friendly. Should you have any issues, please contact Eva Godbey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Link: www.pstachio.wvnet.edu (If link doesn’t work, use Google Chrome and search PSTachio.wvnet.edu)
Course ID: 24-105-03 WVPST Charleston
If you have any questions or issues registering, please contact Eva Godbey at email@example.com
Questions: Contact Brent Burger, (304) 414-4605 or firstname.lastname@example.org